Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day Thoughts

On Sunday, I decided to take a quick bike ride before dinner. I didn't go far, up and around east campus. When I was passing the E. campus bus stop, two little boys, probably about 8 years old yelled up a sign and yelled, "Want to buy some lemonade, brownies, or cookies?" I didn't have any money, so I said, "Sorry!" I was impressed with their ingenuity and willing entrepreneur-spirit. I smiled to myself and continued on my way.

Only minutes later as I left campus to take the road back to the Pathways House, I passed three young boys going to opposite direction on the other side of the street. They couldn't have been much older than lemonade-stand boys. They also decided to yell an offer at me, but it was definitely not as sweet as the first group. All three said it, one after the other, and while it was unclear at first, I deduced that they were saying, "wanna f***?" While I didn't feel unsafe in any way, knowing it was all talk, my heart broke. What happened in these boys life that they treat women like that? Who failed to raise them? That day was also Father's Day.

On the topic of fathers, that morning in church, our Pastor asked all the fathers to stand so that we could could pray over them. In addition, he requested anyone stand who assumed the role of a father-figure. Immediately, this woman in the center back row jumped to her feet, baby on the hip. Our pastor nodded at her acknowledging that he understood her situation. Her strong face said it all; she had assumed the role of both parents. In addition, as I entered in the names of the students for the Wright Room summer program, I did not once see a male name on the "Parent" or "Emergency Contact" information line. Not once. Lots of mothers with different last names than the children and grandmothers. Where are the men? Where are the boys' fathers?

No comments: